Life as a Fellow
Learn more about the Fellowship’s leader development framework and what being a full-time teacher entails.
Your journey as a Fellow begins with 8 weeks of training in the Summer Institute and continues over the 2 years while you serve as a teacher-leader in a high-need school in the province where Teach For Vietnam are operating in (currently Quang Nam).
What it means to be a Fellow?
Before the Fellowship
The Fellows always come from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. In order to maximize your growth and impact during the Fellowship, we run a comprehensive training program called the Summer Institute before the Fellowship to ensure all Fellows are fully prepared to engage in the education ecosystem in September. The Summer Institute is designed to equip Fellows with the fundamental skills and competencies necessary to teach and to lead in the classroom.
You will decide if the Teach For Vietnam Fellowship is the right path for you after completing Summer Institute where you will be exposed to and trained in the latest teaching practice and alternative learning environments.
During the Fellowship
Serving as a Teacher
You will be placed in a highly adaptive educational environment in order to have the greatest impact on students, teachers, schools and community.
During your Fellowship, you will receive opportunities to grow professionally as a leader in education through learning circles, workshops, leadership projects and coaching sessions.
Every month, you will meet with your assigned Leadership Development Officer, a professional coach who will help you to track your development and support you to accelerate your personal, pedagogical, and professional growth.
Additionally, you will receive the opportunities to attend workshops and events as part of your leadership and pedagogical development from Teach For All and its global partners. It is also an opportunity to meet up, learn, and bond with other Fellows on the same leadership journey as you. These friendships will sustain you during the Fellowship, and often long beyond the 2 years.
Running a Initiative
From the start of the Fellowship, Fellows are expected to lead or collaborate an initiative that benefits the education ecosystem they serve. From the past 2 years, Teach For Vietnam Fellows have co-created and organized many initiatives/projects such as Dream Library project, English Club, STEM Club, Creative Fair, Bus For Change Program, the Little Farmers, 4.0 Garden, Family Day Fair, The Teacher Club …
After the Fellowship
Once a Teach For Vietnam Alumni, you will be a part of an international network of leaders who use their skills, knowledge and mindset to impact education equity and excellence.
“Perhaps a year at TFV is the time I feel like I grow up the fastest, learn the best things in more than a third of my life. Here I learn, do, experience, dedicate and live my life with the dreams and values that I am pursuing. TFV is also a place to help me rediscover myself, a place to nurture many incubated projects. Of course, the path of our fellowship is not easy, requiring commitment and countless steps out of safety, but I believe for sure that the experience at TFV will be a journey full of appreciation and grateful of the youthful days.”
Kha Thị Mỹ Trang (Fellow Batch 2018 – 2020)
Compensation & Benefit
1. Before the Fellowship
Housing, one-way travelling to Summer Institute expenses + training stipend and lunch allowance are covered during Training Institute (6-8 weeks).
2. During the Fellowship
8,2 million VND (NET) + Social, Health & Unemployment Insurance.
3. After the Fellowship
Constant Learning Opportunities
- Leverage your leadership and pedagogy skills such as basic Teaching methodology, Classroom management, Design thinking through Leading Change Projects or Teach For Vietnam’s Projects and scholarships abroad.
- Support fee for Accreditation to become qualified teachers: TKT (Teaching Knowledge Test, Cambridge English Certificate) or Certificate from Microsoft Education Program
Career Development Opportunities
- Become Teach For Vietnam staff member: after 02 years as teacher-leader, you can join Teach For Vietnam or projects to make a long-term impact on systemic changes to diverse sectors.
- Inspiring Social Innovators Fast-track your career as a social intra/entre-preneur to empower change and innovation for the community.
- Graduate students or valuable employee with strong leadership experience: As a fellow of Teach For All network, you will be recognized as a strong candidate by world’s top universities, such as Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Oxford, and Johns Hopkins. Moreover, you may be eligible to apply for graduate school admissions stipends and scholarships.
Have an unanswered question?
Explore the impact of the Leadership Development Fellowship program from 2018 – 2019.
Sounds like the life your want?
Don’t miss the chance to try by applying now!
Deadline 2: 29/03/2020.
Develop young leaders from diverse backgrounds to build a sutainable ecosystem supporting education.
© 2016 Teach For Vietnam.